Getting Started Checklist


If you are a new student interested in attending Brookdale there are a few steps you need to take in order to register for classes.  As a new student you are required to apply, take the Accuplacer exam, meet with an Academic Advisor, and register for your courses.

The steps you need to take are:

1)  Apply to Brookdale.  You can apply in person at the Main Campus in Lincroft, or any one of our Higher Education Centers located throughout Monmouth County.  If you would like to apply online, please go to and follow the instructions to apply online. There is a one-time $25.00 application fee.

2)  Take the Accuplacer Test.  Once a student applies to the college they are required to take the Accuplacer Test. Don’t worry—this isn’t a pass/fail test! This test helps assess your reading, writing and mathematics skills and helps your Student Development Specialist place you in appropriate courses. The Accuplacer test is done at your own pace, and you should expect to take approximately 3 hours to complete the exam. Once you apply to the college you will receive a “welcome letter” within approximately 2-3 weeks that will provide you with further information regarding testing. If you apply in person, you will be provided with a testing pass at that time. No appointment is needed for testing at the Main Campus in Lincroft. If you would like to take your test at your local Higher Education Center please contact them for further information.

3)  Schedule an appointment with an Academic Advisor. After you take the test your next step will be to sit down with an Academic Advisor and determine what courses you will be taking for the term. Your advisor will speak to you about your academic interests, the results of your Accuplacer test, and any career or transfer interests you may have. He or she will assist you in planning your course schedule for the term, and will approve you to take classes for the term. After you have met with your advisor you can register for your courses.

4)  Register for classes. You are now ready to register for courses. You may do so at the Main Campus in Lincroft or any of our regional locations. Remember, you will need to provide the VA Certifying Official with the required information once you register to start using your GI Bill benefits. If you are unsure of what you need, please go to:

5)  Complete and provide your completed GI Bill paperwork to the VA Certifying Officials during walk-in VA hours or by appointment.