Visiting Students FAQ

Visiting Students

What’s a Visiting Student?

A “Visiting Student” is anyone matriculated and in good standing at a college or university other than Brookdale. Most visiting students attend during the summer to make up missing credits or catch up on your courseload.

What’s the advantage of Visiting Student Status?

As a Visiting Student you are not required to take the Basic Skills placement test or meet with a Brookdale Counselor – unless you are registering for developmental “zero level” courses.

Do I need to apply to Brookdale?

Yes – if you’ve never attended Brookdale for a credit class, you must complete the application and pay the $25 application fee. You may apply online, or obtain and submit a paper application at Brookdale’s Lincroft Campus or any of the Higher Education Centers – Eastern Monmouth, Long Branch, Northern Monmouth, Wall, or Western Monmouth.

What documentation do I need to be a Visiting Student?

Visiting students are not required to submit a letter from their home institution giving them permission to take courses at Brookdale. It is the visiting student`s responsibility to verify that the course(s) he or she takes at Brookdale will transfer to the home institution, and that the student has the prerequisites necessary to succeed in the course(s). It is very important to meet with your home institution advisor and review the Brookdale course descriptions. This will ensure that what you take here meets your requirements and will transfer back.

Can I register online as a visiting student?

Yes, you can register for most 100 & 200 level courses online. You must apply first (if you haven’t taken classes at Brookdale before.) Online registration is not permitted for courses requiring a special pass or permission. Courses falling into these categories include Special Projects, Internships, Honors designated courses, Nursing, Radiography, Respiratory Therapy and Culinary courses.

Where can I register for courses?

You may register online, or you may also register at the main campus in Lincroft, the Western Monmouth Branch Campus, or at any of our Higher Education Centers – Eastern Monmouth in Neptune, Long Branch, Northern Monmouth in Hazlet, or Wall. Classes fill rapidly – it is smart to register as early as you can.

Can someone else register for me?

Someone else can register for you in person, but please make sure you provide them with your complete information: name, social security number or Brookdale ID number, address, phone number and course information. When possible, please sign the registration form. Individuals may also sign on your behalf. You should also try to give anyone registering for you as much flexibility as possible. (For instance, if the class you wanted to take on Tuesday morning is closed, are you willing to take it on Wednesday afternoon?)

How do I make payment?

Payment can be made at the Lincroft campus by check, money order, cash, American Express, Visa, Discover or Master Card. Individuals may also pay by check, money order, or credit card at the Freehold Campus or at any of our Regional Locations. (Please note – cash will not be accepted at any location other than the Lincroft Campus.)

If someone is registering for you, they should be prepared to pay at that time. You may also pay by credit card online, or by phone the day you register.

How do I transfer credits back to my school?

To transfer credits back to your home institution you must file a transcript request form in the Office of Admission, Records & Registration. There is a $3 fee for each transcript you request and it takes 10-14 days to process. You may fill the form out and submit it to the Office of Admission, Records & Registration no earlier than 1 week prior to the end of the term. It is critical that you read the form thoroughly and answer all the questions carefully.

Of particular importance is noting whether you want a transcript sent immediately or held until all your grades are posted. It is strongly advised that you meet with your advisor from your home institution to determine the transferability of courses. Only your advisor from your home institution can determine whether your Brookdale courses will transfer back to your school.

Will my final grade(s) arrive in time for me to register for the following semester at my home institution?

This depends on many different factors. We process transcripts requests as quickly as possible. However, it is possible that official grades are not posted, or transcripts may not be mailed in time for registration at your home school. You might want to discuss this in advance with your advisor. In many cases, a note from your Brookdale professor may suffice pending receipt of official transcripts.