MyBrookdale

Fall 2014 Events

Special Lectures & Programs for Fall 2014 Term

Is There Such Thing as a Just War?

Presented by Christopher M. Bellitto, Ph.D., Kean University

Is there such thing as a “just” war? Can we go to war to achieve peace? Is one person’s just war another person’s imperial invasion? Join us as we explore 3,000 years of controversial thought on using violence legitimately.

Monday, Oct. 20, from 7-8:30 PM in MAN 108
$15 general admission, $5 Brookdale students

Antiwar Dissent & Peace Activism in American during World War I

Presented by Scott H. Bennett, Professor of History, Georgian Court University, author of Antiwar Dissent & Peace Activism In America During World War I: A Documentary Reader (2014).

World War I was a watershed in modern world history. On the battlefield, millions were slaughtered by newly mechanized warfare: chemicals, machine guns, massive artillery. On the home front, the war led to an important American peace movement and increasing American isolationism.

This talk will examine a broad range of antiwar sentiment, opposition, and resistance: religious and secular, liberal and radical, pacifist and non-pacifist; along with a look at wartime conscientious objection and the postwar humanitarian pursuit of peace through the League of Nations.

Monday, Nov. 3, from 7 – 8:30 PM
$15 general admission, $5 Brookdale students

Questions or comments? E-mail Center Director David Bassano at dbassano@brookdalecc.edu