Abbreviations & Acronym Usage
First Reference: Use the official title of the building with building abbreviation in parentheses if there will be subsequent references throughout the text.
Subsequent References: Use building abbreviation.
Example: Classes will be held in the Advanced Technology (ATC) Building. The new signage in ATeC will direct students to their classes.
ROOM NUMBER REFERENCE
Capitalize the "R" in the word "Room" when referring to room numbers. Use the college campus location, official building name, and room number.
Example: Located on the Lincroft Campus in the Performing Arts Center, Room 105
OFFICIAL COLLEGE NAME AND ABBREVIATION
Brookdale Community College; can be subsequently referred to as "Brookdale". Never use BCC, Bdale, or any other shortening of the name.
Lincroft Main Campus
Western Monmouth Branch Campus at Freehold (Brookdale at Freehold)
Northern Monmouth Higher Education Center at Hazlet (Brookdale at Hazlet)
Eastern Monmouth Higher Education Center at Neptune (Brookdale at Neptune)
Long Branch Higher Education Center (Brookdale at Long Branch)
Wall Higher Education Center - Home of the New Jersey Coastal Communiversity (Brookdale at Wall)
Sandy Hook Environmental & Field Station (Brookdale at Sandy Hook)
- Location names in parentheses can be used for marketing purposes
- The term "campus" can be used in subsequent references when referring to Lincroft, and the term "branch campus" can be used for Western Monmouth.
|Advanced Technology Building
|Brookdale Administrative Center
|Brookdale Recreation & Events Center
|Center for Admissions and Registration
|Center for the Visual Arts
|Childrens Learning Center
|Main Academic Complex
|Main Academic North
|Main Academic South
|Performing Arts Center
|Receiving & Mail Center
|Robert J. Collins Arena
|Warner Student Life Center
|Wilbur Ray Police Station
When referring to degrees, capitalize the name of the degree (Associate degree, Bachelor's degree, Master's degree). Use the possessive form with Bachelor's and Master's, but not with Associate.
- Joe Smith received an Associate degree from Brookdale Community College.
- Joe Smith earned an Associate of Arts in Arts and Humanities.
Omit periods from abbreviations of academic degrees. When listing academic credentials, list the person's legal name, degree, year of graduation and institution.
- John Faculty, PhD, 1967 Stanford, MA
Avoid beginning a sentence with an acronym.
- If an acronym is commonly used as a word, it does not require explanation (IQ, LSD, FBI).
- Write the plural form of an acronym without an apostrophe (e.g. some MBAs command high salaries).