Welcome to the Biology Department’s Greenhouse Home Page
- The Lord and Burnham greenhouse at Brookdale Community College is home to many tropical species of plants.
- The demonstration glass greenhouse is 30’ x 50’ with display benches for specimen plants, a misting bench for plant propagation and several benches for student research projects.
The climate in the greenhouse is automated to demonstrate the biodiversity that is seen in tropical and arid ecosystems.
- A staff Horticulturalist, along with Monmouth County Master Gardeners and Brookdale students, provide the ongoing care necessary to maintain the campus collection. Re-potting, pruning, fertilizing, labeling and insect management are required to keep all of the plants thriving.
- Campus clubs (biology and environmental) utilize the greenhouse for terrarium making, photography, seed starting and gardening projects.
- Science labs including BIOL 125, BIOL 101, BIOL 102, BIOL 206 and ENVR 107 incorporate various demonstrations about plant evolution, plant identification, ecosystems and plant propagation.
- The collection of succulents, orchids, bromeliads, cycads, geraniums and begonias from around the world furthers our initiative for a global curriculum.
Click here for a virtual tour of our greenhouse (coming soon)