What is our Distance Advising & Counseling Program?
Our Distance Advising and Counseling Program enables you to meet with an Advisor or a Counselor in real time. Instead of coming to campus, you can meet with an Advisor or a Counselor online by appointment when it is convenient for you. Currently, appointments can be scheduled from 9:00 AM to 4:30PM EST for up to 30 minutes.
For Health Science and Online Students:
Cathleen Goode is your designated Counselor. She will be available to meet online with Health Science and Online Students Monday evenings from 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm. She is available to do Career Counseling (career assessments) with any and all students who wish to do those interpretations online. This is not limited to Health Science and Online students.
How does our Distance Program work?
Brookdale is currently using Adobe Connect as its distance advising tool. You can participate in the session using your web camera and microphone. During the session, your Advisor or Counselor will use the screen-sharing feature to show you important documents. You will also be able to see the Advisor or Counselor via web cam.
If you do not have a camera and microphone, you can use the Chat Pod (Instant Messaging).
Can all of my needs be met in a distance meeting?
At this time, most educational advising and counseling needs can be met in an online meeting. While these sessions are appropriate for the following requests, certain requests, such as career counseling, can only be met by a licensed counselor:
- Academic planning
- Career testing results
- Course approvals
- Degree requirements
- Graduation requirements
- Probation restrictions
- Preliminary transcript evaluations
- Transfer information
Personal and crisis counseling are not available through the Distance Advising Program.
Please call 911 if you are in crisis.
How do I request an online advising or counseling session?
- Call 732-224-2555 to request an appointment time with an Advisor or Counselor.
- A few minutes before your online session, use the link HERE to get started.
- Read through all of the instructions and computer requirements.
- Complete the Connection Test to confirm that your computer or mobile device can support an online session.
- Complete the the Online Advising Registration form. Be sure to answer all questions and agree to all of the terms and click the Submit link.
- Your will be redirected to a confirmation screen with a link to the Adobe Connect login page. Click on the Online Advisement link.
- Select Guest and enter your first name only.
- You will be waiting to enter the meeting. An Advisor or Counselor will invite you into the meeting room for your appointment. Please be patient and wait.
You can also watch a video tutorial on how to meet with your Advisor or Counselor online.
If you need academic advising, please call (732) 224-2555.