What is our Distance Advising & Counseling Program?
Our Distance Advising and Counseling Program enables you to meet with an Advisor or a Counselor in real time. Instead of coming to campus, you can meet with an Advisor or a Counselor online at your convenience. Times of availability may vary, so please call (732)224-2555 to inquire about our schedule, or set up an appointment. Your are always welcome to just sign in at any time, but doing so does not guarantee the availability of someone to help you.
For Health Science and Online Students:
Cathleen Goode is your designated Counselor. Scheduled meeting times have been suspended during the Early Bird Orientation season (May and June), however the Virtual Counseling Office will be opened during weekday afternoons. Please sign in to check availability or call (732) 224- 2555 to inquire about scheduled times.
During the academic year, Cathleen is available to do Career Counseling (career assessments) with any and all students who wish to do those interpretations online. This is not limited to Health Science and Online students.
How does our Distance Program work?
Brookdale is currently using Adobe Connect as its distance advising tool. You can participate in the session using your web camera and microphone. During the session, your Advisor or Counselor will use the screen-sharing feature to show you important documents. You will also be able to see the Advisor or Counselor via web cam.
- *If you do not have a camera and microphone, you can use the Chat Pod (Instant Messaging).
It is recommended that you test your computer prior to attending a meeting using the Connection Test link below.`
- Note: You may be prompted to download and install the Adobe Add-in and Flash. Please do so when prompted.
Can all of my needs be met in a distance meeting?
At this time, most educational advising and counseling needs can be met in an online meeting. While these sessions are appropriate for the following requests, certain requests, such as career counseling, can only be met by a licensed counselor:
- Academic planning
- Career testing results
- Course approvals
- Degree requirements
- Graduation requirements
- Probation restrictions
- Preliminary transcript evaluations
- Transfer information
Personal and crisis counseling are not available through the Distance Advising and Counseling Program.
Please call 911 if you are in crisis.
How do I request an online advising or counseling session?
- Read through all of the instructions and computer requirements.
- Fill in and submit the Online Advising session request form at the link below.
- Complete the Connection Test to confirm that your computer or mobile device can support an online session. Accept any suggested downloads.
- Complete the the Online Advising Registration form. Be sure to answer all questions and agree to all of the terms and click Submit.
- You will be redirected to a confirmation screen with a link to the Adobe Connect login page. Once there, click on the Online Advisement link.
- Select Guest and enter your first name only.
- At this point you will be moved to a waiting room, in a queue to enter the counseling meeting. At some point a Counselor or Advisor will invite you into the meeting room for your appointment. Please be patient and wait. There may be multiple people ahead of you. If you sign out and sign in again, your old spot will be filled with the next student and you will be moved to the end of the line.
You can also watch a video tutorial on how to meet with your Advisor or Counselor online.
If you experience difficulty signing in, please call (732) 224-2555.