Brookdale Community College Federal CARES Act Emergency Fund
Grants to Students Report
July 24th, 2020
- An acknowledgement that the institution signed and returned to the Department the Certification and Agreement and the assurance that the institution has used, or intends to use, no less than 50 percent of the funds received under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
- Brookdale Community College completed and submitted the Recipient Funding and Certification Agreement on 4/13/2020 assuring that 50% of the funds would be used as intended to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
- The total amount of funds that the institution will receive or has received from the Department pursuant to the institution’s Certification and Agreement [for] Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students.
- Brookdale Community College received $3,167,205.00 in funding to be distributed among its applicants.
- The total amount of Emergency Financial Aid Grants distributed to students under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act as of the date of submission (i.e., as of the 30-day Report and every 45 days thereafter).
- Brookdale Community College distributed $1,402,000.00
- The estimated total number of students at the institution eligible to participate in programs under Section 484 in Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 and thus eligible to receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act.
- Brookdale Community College estimates the number of students eligible to participate in the emergency grant program is 3500.
- The total number of students who have received an Emergency Financial Aid Grant to students under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act.
- As of July 24th, 2020, 1409 students have been awarded Federal Cares Act Emergency Grant.
- The method(s) used by the institution to determine which students receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants and how much they would receive under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act
- Brookdale Community College formed a committee consisting of Brookdale employees in leadership positions including The President of the college. The Office of Financial aid accepted responsibility for creating processes consistent with US Department of Education Guidance and the decisions of the committee.
- All registered matriculated students who were not in an online Program, completed a FAFSA and met the definition a ‘Financial Aid eligible’, are provided with an online application. The application explains the process and encourages students to enroll in direct deposit.
- This process will continue for Spring, and Summer terms.
- Applications are validated and anyone deemed eligible are selected and receive a Cares Act Emergency Grant of $1000.00.
- Based on available funds, the committee will reconvene and access award amounts for the Fall 20 term.
- Any instructions, directions, or guidance provided by the institution to students concerning the Emergency Financial Aid Grants.
- The college maintains a COVID-19 website which includes Frequently Asked Questions and provides access to information regarding the Emergency CARES Grants. Students can also submit questions to COVIDquestions@brookdalecc.edu. The email address is monitored daily and questions and/or concerns are promptly responded to.
- The college responds to all ineligible applicants and encourages that they complete a FAFSA.