Mental Health First Aid Training
August 3 @ 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
MENTAL HEALTH FIRST AID TRAINING
“This program is a top-notch service to area communities like ours and we are so grateful for the opportunity to have this program.” – Nikki Carber, Speak Out Against Suicide
SEATS ARE LIMITED – Open to the entire Brookdale community, students and employees, you must register by Tuesday, July 13th STUDENTS HERE and EMPLOYEES HERE you will be notified on Thursday, July 15th via Brookdale email if you are selected to take the training.
Participants will complete a self-paced course and it must be done a week before the training date. They CANNOT let someone else take the class – if they commit to the date, they are expected to sign in on 8/3. (This is a requirement from the National Office.)
WHY MENTAL HEALTH FIRST AID?
Mental Health First Aid teaches you how to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental illness and substance use disorders. This training gives you the skills you need to reach out and provide initial support to someone who may be developing a mental health or substance use problem and help connect them to the appropriate care.
WHAT IT COVERS
• Common signs and symptoms of mental illness
• Common signs and symptoms of substance use
• How to interact with a person in crisis
• How to connect the person with help
• NEW: Expanded content on trauma, addiction and self-care
The course will teach you how to apply the ALGEE action plan:
• Assess for risk of suicide or harm.
• Listen nonjudgmentally.
• Give reassurance and information.
• Encourage appropriate professional help.
• Encourage self-help and other support strategies
To learn more about MHFA: https://www.mentalhealthfirstaid.org.