What is the Minority Male Initiative?
The Minority Male Initiative, which is a partnership between Brookdale and the Monmouth/Ocean Panhellenic Council, started in 2015. Is an annual conference. The goal of the initiative is to educate and expose high school juniors and seniors, as well as current Brookdale students, to different career opportunities that may be of interest to them. In doing so, students are made aware of the tangible rewards for making a commitment to continue their education. The initiative continues to develop relationships with businesses and companies that offer internships and opportunities for students of color in particular, giving them hands-on experience and professional knowledge of their chosen career field of interest.
Objectives for students that attend the conference:
- Provide firsthand information about different career opportunities through on-going programming and our annual conference.
- Provide an opportunity for students to network and connect with professionals that work in their field of interest.
- Provide students with scholarship, internship, and career opportunities.
- Provide education on personal development.
The conference will also include concurrent workshops. This will be accomplished with breakout sessions, connecting students with professionals that have experience working in careers that fall within one of the five career clusters:
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Math
- Broadcasting, TV Production, Graphic Design, Journalism and Animation
- Physical Therapy, Nursing, Physician, Athletic Training, Occupational Therapy and Radiology
- How to start your own Business, Accounting, Management, Finance, Marketing, Social Work, Education and Criminal Justice
- Theater/Film/Television, Acting, Play/Screenwriting, Stage, Directing and Film Directing
Mainframe Computing Communications Media
Business and Social Science
Show Business and Entertainment
Past Virtual Conference Recordings
“I believe that networking and resources are a necessity to success. Our intention is to provide those opportunities for historically underrepresented groups,” said Dr. Fidel Wilson, MSW, Ed.D, Chairman of this event.
If you still need to complete your 2021 scholarship application click HERE for the form