What is the Accuplacer Test and who needs to take it?
The Accuplacer is a College Placement Test that determines the starting level of your General Education classwork at Brookdale. All new degree students must take the Accuplacer Placement Test which includes measurements of reading, writing and mathematics. This test is designed to assure that students are ready to perform college-ready work. Waivers of testing are available to students under the following provisions:
SAT or ACT Waiver
If you have taken the SAT or ACT test within the past three years, your scores may qualify you to waive or only take part of the test.
SAT (as of 03/01/2016):
- SAT Math – score 530 or higher will waive both Computation and Algebra tests.
- Evidence Based Reading and Writing (ERW) – score of a 480 or higher will waive both the Reading Comprehension and Sentence Skills tests.
(as of 9/01/07-2/29/2016):
- Critical Reading – score of 540 or higher will waive both the Sentence Skills and Reading Comprehension tests.
- Quantitative – score of 530 or higher will waive both the Computation and Elementary Algebra tests.
- Reading – score of a 23 or higher will waive the Reading Comprehension portion of the test.
- Math – score of a 22 or higher will waive both the Computation and Elementary Algebra portions of the test.
- OLD ACT Writing – score of a 23 or higher will waive the Sentence Skills portion of the test.
- NEW ACT Writing (As of the Sept 2016 Adminstration) – score of 8 will waive the Sentence Skills section of the test.
If you are a High School Senior attending school in Monmouth County, a Brookdale Admissions Representative will set up a time with your Guidance Department to administer the test at your school. To find out the visit and testing dates for your high school, either contact your Guidance Department or check out our Important Dates link.
My school doesn’t participate in Early Bird Placement Testing.
That’s okay. If your school does not currently participate in Early Bird Placement Testing or you are an out-of-county resident, you may still participate as long as you satisfy the mandatory requirements in a timely fashion. If we are not scheduled to administer the exam at your school, you will be responsible for taking it at Brookdale Community College’s main campus in Lincroft. You may also contact one of Brookdale’s regional locations to schedule a time to take the exam. Contact our Testing Center if you have special testing needs.
If you have questions about what to expect, how to study, what your scores mean, or how to access your scores once you’ve take the test, please visit the Accuplacer FAQ.