Professor Jane Scimeca
Biography: Jane Scimeca teaches at Brookdale Community College where she holds the rank of Professor of History. She earned a Master Degree in History and Graduate Certificate in Women’s Studies from Rutgers University. Prof. Scimeca teaches a variety of courses including Women’s History, World Civilization I and II, and New Jersey History. Her publishing credits include the article, “Pink is the New Red, White and Blue” in the Asbury Park Press (March 2017), the upcoming article “The Price of Liberty is Maternal Vigilance: Understanding Women’s Political Engagement Since the 2016 Election”, several ancillary texts for Houghton-Mifflin Publishers. She is also a contributing author to the Encyclopedia of New Jersey.
Her area of academic interest is Women’s History. Prof. Scimeca developed the curriculum for Brookdale Community College first course in the Women’s History in 1995 and collaborated to develop Brookdale’s Women’s Studies Program. Over the last 25 years she has taught hundreds of students about the history of women in America.
Prof. Scimeca speaks frequently on campus as well as in the community on topics in Women’s History.
Some of her past community lectures on Women’s History include the following:
- “The Price of Liberty is Maternal Vigilance: Understanding Women’s Political Engagement Since the 2016 Election” at the national conference “Since Suffrage…” At Auburn University on October 23, 2020.
- “Women and Patriotic Service to Their Communities: Then & Now” – Hightstown Presbyterian Church on October 11, 2020
- “Is the ERA History?” Kitchen Table Talk for Freeholder Candidates Moira Nelson & Michael Penna on June 22, 2020
- “Women and Patriotic Service to Their Communities: Then & Now” – Fundraiser for Monmouth County Democratic Candidates for Freeholder, May 14, 2020
- “A Celebration of the Centennial of Woman’s Suffrage” – Ocean County College (December 2019), S.A.G.E. Club (February 10, 2020)
- “The Blue Wave: A History of Women in American Political Activism” – Red Bank Public Library (March 20, 2019)
- “Margaret Sanger and the History of Birth Control” – Ocean County College (March 2018)
- “Frances Willard, Suffrage and the Moral Purpose of Women in Politics” – Hightstown Presbyterian Church (May 3, 2020)
- “The Life of Clara Barton: The Red Cross and Beyond” for the Bordentown Historical Society, July 19, 2007, Camp Olden Civil War Round Table, (March 6, 2008)
- “Eleanor: The Other Great Roosevelt” for the Center for World War II Studies and Conflict Resolution (March 4, 2008)
- “Demystifying the Veil: Women and Islam” Lecture for International Center at Brookdale Community College (February 22, 2005)
- “Rosie the Riveter: Women’s Experiences in the Second World War” for the Center for World War II Studies and Conflict Resolution (March 9, 2004)
- “These Boots Were Made for Walking: The 1960’s and the Second Wave of the Women’s Movement” for the Monmouth County Library Lecture Series “The Times They Were A-Changin’: Remembering the 1960’s” (March 30, 2004)
- “The History of the Miss America Pageant” Middletown Public Library (March 1999)
Professor Scimeca may be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.