WILL: Women in Learning and Leadership is a collegiate leadership program that provides participants with academic and co-curricular experiences designed to develop a student’s leadership over the course of their undergraduate collegiate experience at Brookdale. Students participating in WILL: Women in Learning and Leadership will experience a transformative educational curriculum through inquiry, experiential and project-oriented pedagogy and course work.
Our Mission: Empower women+ students to become the future leaders of our local and global communities.
The application-based program includes:
- Internship and service learning opportunities
- Coursework in Women’s & Gender Studies that emphasizes women’s activism and leadership
- A student-run campus organization
- Workshops, mentoring, networking opportunities and campus events
Focused topics in the interdisciplinary program include:
- Leadership styles and strategies
- Gender, society and social change
- Conflict resolution and management
- Group and community development
- Intersectional analysis
- Global citizenship and stewardship
The WILL @Brookdale program is modeled after the goals established by the NNCWLP, the National Network of Collegiate Women’s Leadership Programs. The National Network of Collegiate Women’s Leadership Programs (NNCWLP) describes the objectives of a WILL Program as follows:
- To encourage critical thinking, intellectual curiosity, and problem solving skills that empower women as leaders
- To foster a deeper understanding of women’s diverse roles and contributions to society as well as gender and its intersections with race, culture, class, sexuality and other aspects of social identity
- To increase awareness of inequalities and of individual and collective strategies to address these inequities
- To nurture students’ self-awareness, self-confidence and personal growth
- To provide opportunities for women to explore career and life choices
- To connect students with one another, and to a strong and supportive network of faculty, staff and community mentors
WILL @Brookdale initiated its inaugural program year starting in Fall 2015. The program is limited to 16 students per academic year. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
For more information, please see our About WILL page. If you have any questions about the program, don’t hesitate to contact: