The Brookdale Jersey Blues have done it again! They have earned the distinguished National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Region XIX Champions of Character Award for the sixth time and four years in a row.
The Champions of Character Award is given annually to a Region XIX institution that clearly demonstrates outstanding results in character development of its student-athletes and coaches by embracing the true spirit of competition through the five core values of respect, responsibility, integrity, servant leadership and sportsmanship. The institution also demonstrates outstanding involvement in the community, which results in positive character development through sport.
The Brookdale Jersey Blues received this recognition for participating in the following community service initiatives this past year:
- The Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) – Partnered with Student-Life and Activities for a spring campus clean-up.
- SAAC – Hosted a fundraiser for the Monmouth County SPCA at a men’s and women’s basketball game and donated over $200 and a box full of dog food, cat and dog toys, treats, and bowls.
- Cross Country – The team ran in the Asbury Park Santa Run for the non-profit organization Lunch Break, located in Red Bank, NJ.
- Men’s Soccer – The team volunteered at the Brookdale Spring Open House. Team members spoke to incoming students and families about their experiences. A lot of questions were able to be answered by our students who have already begun their college journeys.
- Women’s Soccer and Softball – Partnered for the Bayshore Waterfront Park beach clean-up.
- Men’s Basketball – Prepped JBJ Soul Kitchen, a non-profit community restaurant in Red Bank, NJ. The team cleaned windows, tables, and counters, set tables, and even waited on customers.
- Baseball – The squad ran a clinic for Red Bank Youth baseball players. The youth players came out and watched a few games on our field.
- Softball – While competing at the NJCAA National Championship Tournament, the team participated in a clinic and shared their passion for the game with the next generation of players.
GO JERSEY BLUES!!