An animal lover’s opportunity for success!
“…your program continues to set the standard for the highest quality of veterinary assistant education in the United States….is a model for community college adult education programs….The committee congratulates you on maintaining a strong curriculum for the education and training of Veterinary Assistants as well as a solid relationship with Red Bank Veterinary Hospital. The dedication of your staff and faculty is evident with the quality of your program and the experience your students gain during their education.” – National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America
There are two MANDATORY PREREQUISITES for admission:
1) Attend “Mandatory Workshop: Admission to the Veterinary Assistant Program.” See below for information
2) Submit scores in math AND English in any combination of those bulleted below with the application form that you will receive at the Mandatory Workshop.
- grades of C on college transcript in 100-level math and English courses
- Accuplacer scores of 80 in arithmetic and reading comprehension (if you need to take Accuplacer tests, you will receive a Testing Center order form at the Mandatory Workshop. Each test is $5.)
- SAT scores of 540 in critical reading and 530 in quantitative
- ACT scores of 23 in reading and 22 in math
- grade of 4 in advanced placement high school English and math
NOTE: Admission to the program is competitive
Mandatory Prerequisite: Admission to the Veterinary Assistant Program Workshop
If you are interested in applying to Brookdale’s Veterinary Assistant program, you must attend this three-hour workshop. Find out about the competitive admission process and program prerequisites, Accuplacer testing, required documentation, how to access forms online, application deadline, strict timelines for submitting documentation, and physical and technical skills requirements. Learn about the job of a veterinary assistant so you can decide if you want to pursue this career. Meet program director and faculty from Red Bank Veterinary Hospital (RBVH). Enrollment in the Veterinary Assistant Program is limited and admission is competitive. See course description below with dates and times.
Wednesday, July 26, 2017, 6-9 pm
Fee and Code: $39, XMEDG 238
Veterinary Assistant Program – NAVTA Approved
Mandatory Prerequisite: Attend Admission to the Veterinary Assistant Workshop–see above
The Veterinary Assistant Program is approved through the National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America (NAVTA), and offers the nationally recognized credential, Approved Veterinary Assistant (AVA). It is held in collaboration with Red Bank Veterinary Hospital.
Veterinary Assistants are an integral part of the veterinary healthcare team, working under the direct supervision of a veterinarian or credentialed veterinary technician. Through classroom and clinical instruction, get trained to provide assistance in the following:
Areas of Study: Office procedures and client relations, pharmacy, preventative healthcare, behavior and restraint, animal nursing, laboratory procedures, surgical and recovery room assistance, radiology, and emergency response. 183 hours (87 classroom, 96 clinical). Successful graduates are eligible to sit for the National Approved Veterinary Assistant Exam (exam fee is $100). Students who achieve the AVA credential are eligible to receive two college credits toward the Veterinary Technician Program (AVMA approved) at Bergen Community College in Paramus, NJ
- Admitted students without documentation submitted by the application deadline listed above will be administratively withdrawn from the program and a $150 processing fee will be charged.
- 100 percent attendance required. An additional fee will be charged to students for class makeup hours
- Admitted students must submit to criminal background check and drug screen. (additional fee)
- Physical required including tetanus
- Admitted students must have health insurance
- 75 percent average is required for participation in clinical
- Extensive reading is required
- Students must purchase textbooks, khaki scrubs, and sneakers for clinical
Class and hospital dates and times: Tues & Thurs, September 5-December 19, 2017 , 6-9 pm (no class September 21, November 23)
Clinical: Mon-Thurs, January 8-29, 8 am-4 pm (no clinical January 15)
Final exam: To be given in Brookdale’s Testing Center.
Fee and Code: $2599, XMEDG 081
BOOK LIST: Veterinary Assistant Program
Veterinary Assisting Textbook, Margi Siroris, 2nd edition, $105
The Illustrated Guide to Veterinary Medical Terminology, Romic, 3rd edition, $144
Optional: Tasks for the Veterinary Assistant, Wiley Blackwell, 3rd edition, $40 (ebook)
Books will be available for purchase at the College bookstore (unless otherwise noted) on the Brookdale Lincroft campus. The prices listed are approximate, subject to change. You may call the College bookstore at (732) 224-2382 to check the current price, if the book is in stock and if used books are available. The College bookstore will buy back textbooks, at their discretion. Call the College bookstore for buy back dates.