This program meets strict academic requirements for renewal from NAVTA every 2-3 years.
The program achieved renewal status again in July, 2018.
From the NAVTA* Approved Veterinary Assistant Committee…
“…We congratulate you and your faculty for continuing to provide the very best in education and training of Veterinary Assistants.”
-National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America
Veterinary Assistant Mandatory Information Sessions
If you are applying to Brookdale’s Veterinary Assistant program, you should contact Scott Shanes at email@example.com or 732-224-2011. Find out about the competitive admission process and program prerequisites, Accuplacer testing, required documentation, how to access forms online, application deadline, strict timelines for submitting documentation, and physical and technical skills requirements. Learn about the job of a veterinary assistant so you can decide if you want to pursue this career. Enrollment in the Veterinary Assistant Program is limited and admission is competitive.
Veterinary Assistant Program
Program Director: Janet McConnell, CVT
Instructors: Chrissy Giovannielli, CVT, VTS (SAIM); Daniella Kenmure, CVT; Victoria Vierschilling, CVT
The Newly Expanded Veterinary Assistant Program in collaboration with Red Bank Veterinary Hospital is approved through the National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America (NAVTA). Students who graduate are eligible to sit for the national exam to earn the credential of Approved Veterinary Assistant (AVA).
Veterinary Assistants are an integral part of the veterinary healthcare team, working under the direct supervision of a veterinarian or credentialed veterinary technician. Through classroom and clinical instruction, Students are trained to provide assistance in the following area of study:
Office procedures and client relations, pharmacy, preventative healthcare, behavior and restraint, veterinary medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, safety in the veterinary workplace, animal nursing, laboratory procedures, surgical and recovery room assistance, radiology, and emergency response. 254 hours (87 classroom, 63 online, 104 clinical). Successful graduates are eligible to sit for the National Approved Veterinary Assistant Exam (exam fee is $100).
Students who achieve the AVA credential are eligible to articulate their education and receive 2 college credits toward the Veterinary Technician Program (AVMA Accredited) at Bergen County College in Paramus, NJ
Prerequisites (Instructions to access prerequisite forms will be emailed to you upon registration):
The following are MANDATORY PREREQUISITES for admission:
From the bulleted list below submit scores in any combination (one math AND one English) with the application form.
- 18 years of age or older
- Grades of C on college transcript in 100-level math and English courses
- Accuplacer scores of 250 in arithmetic and reading comprehension (if you need to take Accuplacer tests, you will receive a Testing Center order form at the Mandatory Workshop. Each test is $5.)
- SAT scores of 540 in critical reading and 530 in quantitative
- ACT scores of 23 in reading and 22 in math
- Grade of 4 in advanced placement high school English and math
- Admitted students without documentation submitted prior to the start of the program will be administratively withdrawn from the program and a $150 processing fee will be charged.
- NAVTA program attendance requirement for classroom and clinical instruction must be met to graduate.
- Admitted students must submit to criminal background check and drug screen (additional fee).
- Physical required including tetanus shot and immunization titers
- Admitted students must have health insurance
- 75 percent average is required for participation in clinical
- Extensive reading is required
- Students must purchase textbooks, khaki scrubs, and sneakers for class and clinical instruction.
Will return in September of 2020
Code: XMEDG 081
Textbooks not included. Click here for the Textbook and Supply list.
No online registration available.
For further information email firstname.lastname@example.org.