Federal Work Study (FWS)

As a recipient of a Federal Work Study Award, you are given a unique opportunity to gain practical work experience along with your college education. This award allows you to work either on-campus or in designated off-campus sites. Such work experience can be helpful in your search for a job after graduation.

Opportunities for employment on campus include positions in Counseling areas, Human Services, Scroll & Pen Bookstore, Jersey Blues Cafe, Registration, Financial Aid, Math/Science area, Computer Science area, Student Activities, Collins Arena, and the Performing Arts Center. Some job duties might include peer tutoring, clerical work, data entry, or work as athletic assistants.

Federal Work Study students are paid an hourly wage based upon your position on campus. Please contact The Center for Career & Leadership Development (formerly Career Services) or visit their website to find out more information about the levels of pay and available positions.

How do I Apply for Federal Work Study?

The Financial Aid Office provides you with three ways to be considered for the Federal Work Study Program:

How do I qualify for Federal Work Study?

You must complete a FAFSA so that Financial Aid Office can determine your eligibility. 

Award Notification

You will know whether or not you have been awarded Federal Work Study when you receive your email indicating that there is an offer for you on your financial aid award letter. To check your award status, go to WebAdvisor Self Service and click on “My Financial Aid”. Your Federal Work Study award represents an amount you may EARN as wages during the school year and will not be deducted from your term bill. If you received an award and you are not interested in participating in the Federal Work Study Program, please call the Financial Aid Office and ask to have your FWS award removed.

If your award letter does not include FWS it could be that all eligible funds or jobs have been exhausted, or you did not request it. Either way, if you are interested in the program, please call us in the Financial Aid Office at 732-224-2361. As long as you are enrolled in a minimum of six credits and qualify, you will be put on a waiting list until which time funds become available.

If you do not qualify for Federal Work Study, you may contact Career and Leadership Development and apply for a job through the College’s Student Help Program. The office is located on the ground level of the MAC Building – Room 105 – or you can phone 732- 224-2792.

Students who qualify under financial aid for the Federal Work Study Program or Student Help under the college work program meet with Career Services staff who match the student’s skills with appropriate campus jobs.

Orientation Session 

In order to participate in the Federal Work Study Program, all students are required to attend an Orientation Session. Your first paycheck will include one hour for attending this mandatory session. You will need to bring your driver’s license and Social Security card in order to complete an I-9 Form, which is necessary for employment.

Please contact Career and Leadership Development at 732-224-2792 for information about Orientation Sessions.