Welcome to the Students for Global Citizenship Club (S4GC) webpage!
Students for Global Citizenship is an official student club at Brookdale Community College. Members are active in events that bring about awareness of global issues to the Brookdale Community. We meet on the every other Thursday of each month during the regular semester. Our meetings are held in MAN 106 and they run from 11:30 am to 1:15 pm (during “College Hour”).
- Improve the lives of others by promoting human rights
- Empower students to take action and raise awareness about global issues
- Create educational opportunities (e.g., speakers, workshops, panels, action groups) to increase awareness and activism
- Provide resources for students seeking involvement in community service projects
- Collaborate with Brookdale-based and community-based organizations that are devoted to bringing about awareness and change
Each year, the club chooses a theme and works toward bringing awareness of the global issues surrounding the theme and then members take action by collecting donations or fundraising to support an organization or group in need.
2010 – 11 Human Rights – Human Slavery
2011 – 12 Poverty
2012 – 13 Hunger
2013 – 14 Water 4 Life
2014 – 15 Lack of Water Resources / Education for girls
2015 -16 Global Health / Water Borne Illness
2016 -17 Global Health / Health care professionals
Fall 2017 Meeting Dates and S4GC Events
- Sept 15th 11:30-1:15 Involvement Fair
- Sept 22th 11:30-1:15 in MAN 106
- Sept. 29th 11:30-1:15 in MAN 106
- Oct. 6th 7 p.m. Haitian Experience Twin Lights
- Oct 13th 11:30-1:15 Pie throwing Fundraiser (with PTK)
- Oct. 20th 11:30-1:15 in MAN 106
- Nov. 3rd 11:30-1:15 in MAN 106
- Nov 17th11:30-1:15 in MAN 106
- Dec. 2nd 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. Trip to United Nations NYC
- Dec 8th 11:30-1:15 in MAN 106
Brookdale’s S4GC was cited in a 2015 article published by the American Council on Education as a “model from the field” for global and intercultural student organizations (Internationalizing the Co-Curriculum: Global and Intercultural Education, pg 16).
Check out our Activities
- Club President (2016-17) Varsha Medidi email@example.com
- Faculty Advisor: Terry Konn firstname.lastname@example.org
Come, join us!