Brookdale Community College HEERF Act Fund Frequently Asked Questions
What is the HEERF Act?
The Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) provided funding to colleges nationwide for emergency student financial aid to be distributed to enrolled students.
- The first authorization – under the CARES Act – was intended for students who were Financial aid eligible and had expenses impacted by the COVID–19 virus. Brookdale distributed its allocation of the CARES Emergency Grant by providing a one-time grant for each term offered, on a “first come, first served” basis beginning with the Spring 2020 term and continued until the Summer 2021 term. Funding for the CARES Act is no longer available.
- The second authorization was part of the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF II), in accordance with Section 314(a)(1) of the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSAA). HEERF II was intended for matriculated students with exceptional need to be used for emergency costs that arose due to coronavirus. Students were required to have been registered and attending classes, completed a FAFSA with a valid Social Security number and met the citizenship, or eligible non-citizenship as per the FAFSA. Funding for the HEERF II is no longer available.
- The third authorization, HEERF III, has been established as part of the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021
Am I eligible for HEERF III and how much will I receive?
The Federal government changed the eligibility requirements and beginning with the Fall 21 term and continuing through the Summer 22 terms, all students enrolled in a program leading to a degree or certificate and actively attending received this grant. Notification was sent via your Brookdale.
Award amounts will range from $500 to $1000 per student. To meet federal requirements for awarding to the neediest population, FAFSA filers with an Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) as stated on their Student Aid Report, of $7000 or less, will receive $1000. All others will receive $500.
Beginning in the Fall 2022. ALL students registered for classes will receive a $70.00 HEERF award.
How will I know if I was selected?
An email was sent to your Brookdale email account letting you know the results of your eligibility. Selections were made based on enrollment status for the active term.
When and how will I receive the funds?
Student records will be reviewed after the add/drop period of each reporting term. Within one week of notification, funds will be released to you based on your selected refund preference. For the fastest and safest way for you to secure your HEERF III award, please sign up for the e-check process now. In Web Advisor under “Financial Information” click on “My Preferred Refund Method.”
Follow these steps to set up or update direct deposit:
- Go to www.brookdalecc.edu
- Select “My Brookdale” then “Self-Service”
- Login. Select “Student”
- Under Financial Information select “My Preferred Refund Method”
- Complete required information.
If you do not sign up for the e-check process, a check will be mailed to the address we have on your college record, which could delay receipt of funds.
How can I spend the money?
You are encouraged to use these funds to meet any obligation you may have to the college, as they will not automatically be applied to your current bill. Funds may be used for any costs associated with attending Brookdale such as books and supplies, transportation, housing, food and personal expenses. Please know too that these funds may also be used for emergency costs that arise due to coronavirus, such as health care (including mental health) or child care
What if I have other questions?
You can email COVIDquestions@brookdalecc.edu