New Jersey passed the Lampitt Bill in September 2007 regarding transfer from New Jersey community colleges to New Jersey four-year public colleges. The law provides for transfer of up to 60-64 credits for AA and AS degree graduates, but there are rules and regulations.   The New Jersey Presidents’ Council approved the NJ Comprehensive Statewide Transfer Agreement to provide for the implementation of the law.

The Facts

The law applies to AA and AS (transfer) degree programs, not to AFA (transfer) or AAS (career) programs.

It is valid only for NJ public institutions:
Kean University, Union NJ
Ramapo College of New Jersey, Mahwah NJ
The College of New Jersey (TCNJ), Ewing NJ
The Richard Stockton College of New Jersey, Pomona NJ
Thomas Edison State University, Trenton, NJ
William Paterson University of New Jersey, Wayne NJ

And New Jersey Public Research Universities:
New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark NJ
Montclair State University, Montclair, NJ
Rowan University, Glassboro, NJ
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick NJ

Major-to-major transfer will work best under this law. If you change your mind about what you want to study after you transfer, you may not get credit for all of your courses.

Some majors at the four-year college will take more than an additional two years to complete because program requirements are more than 120-128 credits (Architecture and Engineering are two examples).

The law does not guarantee that you will be accepted; transfer admission to a public four-year college is still competitive. Some majors require you to complete specific courses and have higher grade point averages to be eligible (business, teaching, engineering are examples).

Your Responsibilities

Planning and Support Resources

Work with your Brookdale academic advisor – contact the Advising department at-732-224-2555 to schedule an appointment. You can also call the hotline number at 732-224-2600 for an appointment at your regional Brookdale location.

NJ Comprehensive Statewide Transfer Agreement

NJ College 2 College Transfer Brochure in PDF 

The NJ Transfer Website –

Rutgers University Transfer Law Information