Mandatory Prerequisite: Introduction To Interpreting
Do you speak Spanish or Portuguese? Explore career opportunities using your mastery of English and a second language. Discover everything you need to know about the Judicial and Medical Interpreting certificate program. Explore the three different modes of interpreting: consecutive interpreting, simultaneous interpreting, and sight translation. This class is a prerequisite to register for the program and includes the required testing of your second language abilities.
Wed, Sep 12, 6-9 pm
Fee and Code: $39, XBUSC 055
Judicial And Medical Interpreting Certificate –
English/Spanish OR English/Portuguese
Instructors: Beatriz Craney, Tatiana Dallmann, Rejane Franco, Maria Teresa Perez
Court interpreters work in a variety of legal settings, such as attorney-client meetings, preliminary hearings, arraignments, depositions, and trials. Medical interpreters help patients communicate with doctors, nurses, and other medical staff. 35 SESSIONS.
For prerequisites, program description, required texts, and information on how to attain a certificate, click on the link below.
All four of the following courses must be completed. The courses run concurrently and meet from 6:30-9 pm on the dates listed below:
- Consecutive Interpreting: Thurs, Oct 4-Dec 20 (no class Nov 22)
- Simultaneous Interpreting/Sight Translation – English/Spanish AND English/Portuguese: Tues, Oct 23-Dec 18 (no class Nov 20)
- Judicial Interpreting –
- English/Spanish: Tues, Jan 8-Feb 26, 2019
- English/Portuguese: Wed, Jan 9-Feb 27, 2019
- Medical Interpreting-English/Spanish AND English/Portuguese: Thurs, Jan 10-Feb 28, 2019
Fee and Codes: $2,024 (plus texts of approximately $300)
English/Spanish, XBUSC 056
English/Portuguese, XBUSC 057