Disclaimer: The content on these webpages appears as a courtesy to site visitors and is for general informational purposes only. To obtain a copy of the official applicable policy or regulation, please contact Brookdale’s Public Records Custodian via the Public Records webpage of the Brookdale website at https://www.brookdalecc.edu/about/public-records
I. Title of Regulation
II. Objective of Regulation
To best utilize available parking facilities and control vehicular traffic on properties of the College.
Board of Trustees Resolution dated September 23, 1976 on Title 39 and Traffic Regulations.
IV. Regulation Statement
This Regulation is established in order to best utilize available parking facilities and to control vehicular traffic on properties of the College according to the attached statement.
V. Responsibility for Implementation
The Executive Vice President for Administration, Operations, and Information Technology Services
Approved: President 12/20/76
NOTE: If amendments are made to this Regulation, the Township of Middletown and the N.J. Department of Transportation are to be notified.
TRAFFIC REGULATIONS, BROOKDALE COMMUNITY COLLEGE
ARTICLE I. DEFINITIONS
Section 1-1. Words and phrases defined.
Whenever any words and phrases are used in these regulations, the meaning respectively ascribed to them in subtitle I of title 39 of the Revised Statutes of New Jersey will be deemed to apply to such words and phrases used herein.
ARTICLE II. PROHIBITED PARKING
Section 2-1. Regulations not exclusive.
The provisions of this Article will not relieve any person of the duty to observe other and more restrictive provisions prohibiting or limiting the stopping, standing or parking of vehicles as set forth in R.S. 39:4-138, any other New Jersey Statute or as hereinafter provided.
Section 2-2. Parking Prohibition on Roads.
No person will park a vehicle on any campus road except as specified in Schedule I attached to and made a part of this regulation.
Section 2-3. No Parking Zones.
There will be no parking in posted zones or designated areas as described in Schedule II attached to and made a part of this regulation and as indicated on the map attached to and made a part of this regulation.
Section 2-4. Parking Time Limited on Certain Streets.
No person will park a vehicle for longer than the time limit shown in Schedule III at any time between the hours listed in said Schedule III, of any day (except Sundays and public holidays) upon any of the streets or parts of streets described in Schedule III attached to and made a part of this regulation.
ARTICLE III. LIMITING THE USE OF STREETS TO CERTAIN CLASS OF VEHICLES.
Section 3-1. Trucks over 4 Tons Excluded from Certain Streets.
Trucks over 4 tons gross weight are hereby excluded from the streets or parts of streets described in Schedule IV except for the pick up and delivery of materials on such streets. Said Schedule IV is attached and made a part of this regulation.
Section 3-2. Campus Street
Vehicles weighing in excess of 2,000 lbs. and all passenger vehicles within N.J. Division of Motor Vehicle Weight Class #1 (under 2700 lbs.), Weight Class #2 (2700-3800 lbs.) Weight Class #3 (over 3800 lbs.), and heavier, are prohibited on the campus street at all times. Exception to this would be on an emergency basis only and such exceptions would include police, fire and first aid emergency vehicles and other vehicles as needed should emergency situations arise.
ARTICLE IV. ONE-WAY STREETS
Section 4-1. One Way Streets Designated.
The streets or parts of streets described in Schedule V attached to and made a part of this regulation and as indicated on the attached map are hereby designated as One Way Streets in the direction indicated.
ARTICLE V. THROUGH STREETS, STOP INTERSECTIONS AND YIELD INTERSECTIONS.
Section 5-1. Through Streets Designated.
Pursuant to the provisions of R.S. 29:4-140, the streets or parts of streets described in Schedule VI attached to and made a part of this regulation are hereby designated as Through Streets. STOP signs will be installed on the near right side of each street intersecting the Through Street except where YIELD signs are provided for in the designations. YIELD street locations are described in Schedule VIII.
Section 5-2. Stop Intersections Designated.
Pursuant to the provisions of R.S. 39:4-140, the intersections described in Schedule VII attached to and made a part of this regulation are hereby designated as Stop Intersections. STOP signs will be installed as provided therein.
ARTICLE VI. LOADING ZONES.
Section 6-1. Loading Zones.
The location described in Schedule IX attached to and made a part of this regulation are hereby designated as Loading Zones. There will be no parking in loading zones. Vehicles will be permitted in Loading Zones for loading or unloading purposes and only during such time as this activity is actually being performed.
ARTICLE VII. BUS STOPS.
Section 7-1. Bus Stops.
The locations described in Schedule X attached to and made a part of this regulation are hereby designated as bus stops.
ARTICLE VIII. TURN PROHIBITIONS.
Section 8-1. Left Turn Prohibition.
No person will make a left turn at any of the locations described in Schedule XI attached to and made a part of this regulation and as indicated on the attached map.
ARTICLE IX. LANE USE RESERVATIONS.
Section 9-1. Lane Use Reservations.
All vehicles will turn as described in Schedule XII attached to and made a part of this regulation and as indicated on the attached map.
ARTICLE X. PARKING IN LOTS AND DESIGNATED AREAS.
Section 10-1. Parking.
The regulations for parking lots and parking areas are described in Schedule XIII and Schedule XV attached to and made a part of this regulation and as indicated on the attached map.
ARTICLE XI. PEDESTRIAN CROSSWALKS DESIGNATED.
Section 11-1. Pedestrian Crosswalks.
The locations described in Schedule XIV attached to and made a part of this regulation are hereby designated as crosswalks.
ARTICLE XII. EFFECT OF REGULATIONS.
Section 12-1. Effect of Regulations.
If any part or parts of this regulation are for any reason held to be invalid, such decision will not affect the validity of the remaining portion of this regulation.
ARTICLE XIII. TOW AWAY.
Section 13-1. Tow Away.
Any vehicle parked or standing that will obstruct or impede a normal flow of traffic, block entrance or exit ways, loading zones, fire hydrants, oil fills, grass areas, pedestrian walkways, or present in any way a safety or traffic hazard may be removed by towing at the owner’s or operator’s expense.
Warning signs will be erected and maintained at each of the campus entrances.
ARTICLE XIV. VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION AND REGISTRATION.
All vehicles parked on the College property must properly display current valid decal or other identification issued by the Office of Safety and Security, as indicated in Schedule XVII attached to and made a part of this regulation.
Vehicles will be registered in accordance with Schedule XVII attached to and made a part of this regulation.
ARTICLE XV. SPEED LIMITS.
The streets described in Schedule XVI attached to and made a part of this regulation are hereby established with a speed limit of 25 miles per hour.
The speed limit for both directions on all interior roadways including parking lot lanes are hereby established as follows: 15 Miles Per Hour unless otherwise
Regulatory and warning signs will be erected and maintained to effect the above designated speed limits as authorized by the N.J. Department of Transportation.
ARTICLE XVI. PENALTIES.
Such penalties specified in R.S.39:4-209 and in Schedule XVIII attached to and made a part of this regulation are hereby established.
SCHEDULE I – PARKING PROHIBITION ON ROADS
In accordance with the provisions of Section 2-2, no person will park a vehicle on any campus road except at the locations specified for the following roads or areas. These vehicles will be properly identified.
SCHEDULE II – NO PARKING ZONES
In accordance with the provisions of Section 2-3, there will be no parking at any time in the following locations:
Main Campus Road Both Entire Length
Gym Road Both Entire Length
Service Road Both Entire Length
Reservoir Road Both Entire Length
Performing Arts Road Both Entire Length
Curb side or perimeter of the Performing Arts Center, Community Services Building, Computer
Center Building, Physical Plant Building, and Conference Hall.
SCHEDULE III – PARKING TIME LIMIT
In accordance with the provisions of Section 2-4, no person will park a vehicle for longer than the time limit shown upon any of the following streets or parts of streets:
Campus Lane North 15 Min. 8 AM – Beginning 35 feet from
10 PM the Westerly curb line of Main Campus Road to a point 95 feet West therefrom.
SCHEDULE IV – TRUCKS OVER 4 TONS EXCLUDED
In accordance with the provisions of Section 3-1, trucks over 4 tons gross weight are hereby excluded from the following described streets or parts of streets, except for the pick up and delivery of materials on such streets.
Main Campus Road Entire Length
Gym Road Entire Length
Reservoir Road Entire Length
SCHEDULE V – ONE WAY STREETS
In accordance with the provisions of Section 4-1, and as indicated on the attached map the following described streets or parts of streets are hereby designated as one way streets in the direction indicated:
Visitor Parking Lot Roadway Counterclockwise Entire Roadway
Campus Lane Westbound Between Main Campus Road and Parking Lot #5
Parking Lot #5 Counterclockwise Entire Lot
Most Southerly Exit of Eastbound Extent of Exit
Parking Lot #5
Community Resources Circle Counterclockwise Entire Circle
Performing Arts Circle Counterclockwise Entire Circle
SCHEDULE VI – THROUGH STREETS
In accordance with the provisions of Section 5-1, the following described streets or parts of streets are hereby designated as Through Streets. STOP signs will be installed on the near-right side of each street intersecting the Through Street except where YIELD signs are provided for in the designations.
Main Campus Road Between Newman Springs Road and Phalanx Road
Reservoir Road Between Main Campus Road and the Museum Road
Gym Road Between Main Campus Road and its Westerly terminus
SCHEDULE VII – STOP INTERSECTIONS
In accordance with the provisions of Section 5-2, the following described intersections are hereby designated as STOP Intersections:
SCHEDULE VIII – YIELD INTERSECTIONS
In accordance with the provisions of Section 5-3, the following described intersections are hereby designated as YIELD Intersections:
SCHEDULE IX – LOADING ZONES
In accordance with the provisions of Section 6-1, the following described locations are hereby designated as LOADING ZONES;
Entire area in rear of College Commons
Entire area in rear of Gymnasium
Entire area in rear of Heating Plant
Entire area in rear of Performing Arts Center
SCHEDULE X – BUS STOPS
In accordance with the provisions of Section 7-1, the following described locations are hereby designated as BUS STOPS:
Parking Lot #3 West Side Beginning at the Southerly end of the pedestrian walk to the Admissions and Administration building, thence running a Southerly direction for a distance of 100 feet.
SCHEDULE XI – LEFT TURN PROHIBITIONS
In accordance with the provisions of Section 8-1, no person will make a left turn at any of the following locations:
SCHEDULE XII – LANE USE RESERVATIONS
In accordance with the provisions of Section 9-1, all vehicles will move as described below:
SECTION XIII – PARKING IN LOTS AND DESIGNATED AREAS
In accordance with the provisions of Section 10-1, the following parking regulations for parking lots and designated areas will be enforced by provisions of the traffic regulations:
Lot #1 Student, Staff and 1. Parking in designated areas only.
Special Permit Parking
Lot #2 ” 2. Parking between painted white lines
Lot #3 ” 3. Fifty (50) spaces in Lot #1 are designated as and are restricted parking for visitors and
Lot #4 staff of the Monmouth Museum.
Lot #5 ”
Lot #6 ”
Lot #7 ”
Lot #8 Official Business 1. Parking for maintenance and police personnel and persons on official
Lot #9 ” business and the Community Resources Center.
2. Parking between painted white lines.
Lot #10 Visitors Parking 1. Parking for transit visitors only.
” 2. Parking between painted white lines.
SCHEDULE XIV – PEDESTRIAN CROSSWALKS DESIGNATED
In accordance with the provisions of Section 11-1, the following locations are designated as crosswalks:
Main Campus Road Beginning 184 feet from the Southerly curb line of parking lot #3 most Southerly driveway, to a point 10 feet Southerly therefrom.
Main Campus Road Beginning 13 feet from the Northerly curb line of parking lot#4 most Northerly driveway to a point 10 feet Northerly therefrom.
SCHEDULE XV – MOTORCYCLES & BICYCLES
A. Motorcycles are required to park between painted white lines and/or in designated areas only. Bicycles are required to park in racks, where provided.
SCHEDULE XVI – SPEED LIMITS
In accordance with the provisions of Section 15-1, speed limits for both directions of traffic are hereby established upon the following designated streets or parts thereof:
Main Campus Road 25 MPH Entire Length
Gym Road ” Entire Length
Service Road ” Entire Length
Reservoir Road ” Entire Length
SCHEDULE XVII – REGISTRATION OF VEHICLES
1. Staff or students desiring to operate or park a vehicle on College property must register with the Office of Safety and Security. Upon registration of the vehicle, an official decal will be issued by the Office of Safety and Security. This decal will be displayed on the left side of the rear bumper. Failure to properly display the decal will be an infraction of this regulation; however, this provision will be suspended from 5 p.m. on Fridays until 8 a.m. on Mondays and on College holidays. If the vehicle is sold or transferred, the Office of Safety and Security will be notified by the registered owner, and the decal will be removed from the vehicle. If a new decal is desired at no cost, the portion of the old decal with the number must be presented to the Office of Safety and Security.
2. In order to ensure there is sufficient parking, there will be common parking in all areas for staff and students. A number of reserved spaces will be designated in specific areas for the following groups or individuals:
a. Board of Trustees (Lot #3);
b. Visitors (Lot #10);
c. Handicapped persons (some spaces in all lots);
d. Monmouth Museum staff and visitors (50 spaces are reserved in Lot #1) for visitors of Monmouth Museum. Members and other visitors of the Museum will be permitted to park anywhere in Lot #1 by displaying a current Museum Visitors Parking Permit in the driver’s side front windshield on the dashboard. It will be a violation of these regulations for anyone to park in the aforementioned designated areas unless authorized by this regulation. Reserved spaced in designated areas will be determined through the Office of Safety and Security.
3. Official visitors to the Campus will be advised to register their vehicles with the Office of Safety and Security and a parking decal will be issued. Visitors scheduled through Community Services will be issued (mailed) a special parking permit for a designated date.
4. Neither Brookdale Community College nor its employees assumes the responsibility for loss or damage to vehicles parked on the College property.
5. Accidents resulting from the operation of vehicles on College property must be reported immediately to the Office of Safety and Security.
SCHEDULE XVIII – PENALTIES
1. Violators of most College parking regulations will be subject to the Brookdale citation and appeals process under the provisions of College Regulation No. 2.0020. Fines for infractions will be imposed as follows:
a. Failure to register a motor vehicle…………………….. $5.00
b. Illegal parking in spaces designated as handicapped…. 5.00
c. All Other parking violations………………………….. 2.00
d. Improper mounting of decals…………………………. 1.00
e. Reproducing, defacing, altering or unauthorized transfer of parking decals, or falsification of any information given in vehicle registration procedures… 5.00
2. Students who incur more than three violations listed under No. 1 of this Schedule within an academic year will be referred to the Office of the Director of Student Life and Activities.
3. Traffic tickets and summons issued for moving violations and some parking violations will be subject to the same procedure as now prevails in connection with the Uniform Traffic Ticket used for traffic and parking violations by the municipalities of this State. The parking violations subject to these procedures are:
a. Parking too close to a fire hydrant;
b. Parking too close to a stop sign or intersection;
c. Blocking an intersection.
4. Failure on the part of any student or staff member to pay a fine within fourteen school days from the date on the face of the ticket may result in revocation of his or her driving privileges on campus for a thirty-day period.
5. Transcripts will be withheld from students if fines are not paid by the end of the semester, regardless of the time factor. Also, students with outstanding fines will not be permitted to re-register until such fines are cleared.
6. Staff members will be subject to disciplinary action until all fines are paid. Such disciplinary action may consist of suspension of driving privileges on College property for an indefinite period.
Attached is a map of a survey done by the N.J. Department of Transportation. In reference to this map an explanation is as follows:
1. Campus Lane refers to the Northern entrance (near 15 min. zone) into the visitors lot and lot #5. This will be one-way into the lots.
2. Main Campus Road refers to the road running from Newman Springs Road through the Campus to Phalanx Road.
3. Gym Road refers to the road leading to the Gym and Receiving.
4. Reservoir Road refers to the road leading to Creative Arts Center and Monmouth Museum.
5. Resource Circle refers to the entrance and exit area at the Community Resources Center.
6. Lot #8 refers to Police Headquarters parking area and Lot #9 refers to the Community Resources Center and Maintenance parking areas.
7. Lot #10 refers to Visitors parking lot west of the Business Office.
8. Performing Arts Road and Circle are roadways that lead from the reservoir road to the drop off point of the Performing Arts Center.
Note that the street names on the map were inserted by the N.J. Department of Transportation to ease identification of campus roadways and parking spaces.