Disclaimer: The content on these webpages appears as a courtesy to site visitors and is for general informational purposes only. To obtain a copy of the official applicable policy or regulation, please contact Brookdale’s Public Records Custodian via the Public Records webpage of the Brookdale website at https://www.brookdalecc.edu/about/public-records
I. Title of Regulation
II. Objective of Regulation
To establish the process and criteria for the acceptance of transfer credit.
Board of Trustees Policy No. 6.1000
IV. Regulation Statement
A. Brookdale Community College acknowledges and values educational experiences and will evaluate transfer credits from a variety of sources:
1. Course work taken at regionally accredited institutions.
2. Courses completed at schools which are not regionally accredited will transfer only with prior approval from the Vice President of Learning in consultation with the appropriate Institute Dean.
3. Students with transcripts from outside of the United States are required to have their transcripts evaluated by a Brookdale-approved international academic credential evaluation company/agency.
4. Work completed outside of the traditional college setting including training programs, course work, and military experience will be evaluated for college credit if it meets stated guidelines from the American Council on Education (ACE) or The National Program on
on-Collegiate Sponsored Instruction (PONSI).
5. Credit is awarded based on articulation agreements between the College and other entities e.g., the Monmouth County Police Academy, New Jersey Department of Corrections.
6. Credit is awarded for College Level Examination Program (CLEP) scores which meet the minimum ACE requirements.
7. Credit is awarded for Advanced Placement exams taken by high school students prior to graduation, if the scores meet ACE recommendations.
8. Credit is awarded for Defense Activity for Nontraditional Education Support (DANTES) as per ACE recommendations.
B. Guidelines Regarding Transfer and Transcription of Credit to Brookdale are as follows:
1. Transfer credits will be posted to a student’s official Brookdale transcript after the completion of one semester in good academic standing.
2. Credit may be awarded as direct equivalents of Brookdale courses, broad general education credit, or elective credit.
3. Transfer credit may be granted for classes from the 100 and 200 level coursework. Upper level coursework is evaluated, as needed, by the Department Chair and requires Institute Dean approval.
4. Credit is granted based on semester credit – equivalencies for other units of academic credit will be evaluated on a semester basis.
5. Students must have earned at least a grade of C in a class in order to transfer credits. Basic Skills courses do not transfer, nor do credits for courses in which a grade of “Pass” was received. Students will not receive transfer credit for equivalent courses taken at Brookdale.
The Office of Recruitment Services in consultation with the respective Institute Dean is responsible for the final determination of the acceptance or denial of transfer credit.
V. Responsibility for Implementation
Vice President, Student Success
Approved: President 3/7/77